When you transfer your files to the server using the FileZilla FTP software, you may encounter the following error:
Response: 421 Too many connections (8) from this IP
Error: Disconnected from server
Error: Unable to connect!
There are two reasons for this error:
- The server accepts a certain number of simultaneous connections from the same IP address. This configuration is necessary to avoid certain DOS or DDOS type network attacks.
- FTP programs create multiple connections in order to optimize transfers.
This error is not blocking and your files will continue to download from the server. It can usually occur when you upload many small files because FileZilla will create several connections in parallel.
To avoid this problem, you can configure FileZilla
so that it does not create more than 8 simultaneous connections on the server. To do this, do the following:
- Open the " Site Manager " (File -> Site Manager... or the first button on the toolbar).
- Create an entry for your server (button " New Site ") and enter the corresponding parameters:
- Host: ftp.mydomain.com
- Server Type: FTP - File Transfer Protocol
- Authentication Type: Normal
- Login : [Your username]
- Password : [The corresponding password]
- Select the " Transfer Settings " tab
- Check the box " Limit the number of simultaneous connections".
- Change the " Maximum number of connections " to 8.
By connecting to the server using this Site Manager entry, the connections will be limited and the problem will no longer appear.