In its default configuration, the Mac OS X Mail program keeps sent messages, drafts, spam and trash on the local machine, which can be problematic if you want to configure your email account to access it from several devices (smartphone, tablet, laptop).
To solve this problem, you can do the following:
- Select the "Sent" folder in the list of mail folders on your remote account (configured in IMAP)
- In the "Mailbox" menu, choose the entry "Use this mailbox for >", then "Sent messages
- You can do the same for
- the "Draft" folder corresponding to Drafts,
- the "Junk" folder corresponding to Junk mail
- the "Trash" folder corresponding to deleted items
As a reminder, if you want to access your email account from multiple devices, the ideal configuration uses the IMAP protocol on all your devices.